8.29.2005

First Day of School

Ah, yes. School. A time of stress and learning. Well, the high school had a short assembly by grade level in the morning during homeroom. They ended up running a bit late, so the already shortened morning was shortened even more. I forgot my locker shelve today, so I’ll have to bring it in tomorrow. Oh, and my schedule...now that’s an interesting topic. Western Cultures (ancient history is it’s original name) for me was moved to third period. I would have had a study hall today...however tomorrow and Thursday, I had an Art Lab. Ugh. Oh, and I didn’t have an 8th period scheduled today or a 4th period scheduled on Thursday. Well, I went on to 1st period without a fixed schedule. Oh, well. At least I don’t have to worry until 8th period today, because they’ll get a new schedule to me before then! Right? I mean, of course...they have the whole day!

1st period for me is algebra 3 honors. I have this class with sophomores (I’m a grade ahead in math, just in case you don’t know) and five or so other freshmen. It was okay. We started working right away...it seems like it’s always that way with math...but nothing too hard. Just review. We also got a packet that isn’t due until two weeks, and we only have to do one section and a half. Next was physical education. It was too short to do anything, so they just gave us our squad order and talked. Apparently we won’t be doing anything tomorrow either (we have phys. ed. every day for the first semester, then will not have it for the rest of the year)...hm. 3rd period was Western Cultures. I have mixed feelings about this class...the teacher assured us no pop quizzes, which is good...and the current sophomores claim it was their favorite class...however, there’s just something about the teacher that makes me nervous about that class...well, I’ll just have to wait and see how he turns out. Anyway, 4th period was my second period of math (I have math six period a week). It was fine, too. Although, we got a homework assignment. “Page eleven numbers eleven through forty odd”. Oh, well. 5th period was biology honors. The teacher actually seemed nice and enthusiastic. She said she was going to try to make this class interesting, and if we didn’t understand something, it was her fault for not teaching it well. So, I think biology honors is going to be just dandy...now, after 5th period was lunch. I actually was kind of hungry during 4th period...because after that is when middle school eats, and I guess my stomach wanted to follow that schedule...but I survived until after 5th. Anyway, 6th was Latin 2...I had to “fight” over a Latin name because last year someone else had the same name as me, but had Latin 1 a different period then me. But the other person decided on a different name, and I got to keep the name Caia. 7th period was English honors, and new English teacher was a substitute teacher, but is quite happy that she now has a permanent job. She’s quite nice, and I think I’ll have a good time in that class. Now, you’d think I’d get a schedule that at least would tell me what I have 8th period...but no. I went to the guidance office to talk to them about it, and I found out that I wasn’t the only one! In fact, the program used to create the schedules had some sort of glitch, so that it wouldn’t let them edit 8th period Monday and 4th period Thursday for 9th graders. Weird, huh? I think it was just a Tok’ra conspiracy...but that’s just what I think.

I also had trombone lessons after school. My trombone teacher (who is also my school band director) was tickled at the thought that I didn’t have anything scheduled for 8th period...

Well, I haven’t had art class or band yet...although, band won’t be anything new until later when we get our concert music. Oh! But there were two funny things that happened today. One was that during biology, the teacher was telling us about materials we would need. “Oh, you don’t need a big nerdy notebook...” the teacher says. The person across the table and I started cracking up. After all, I had a huge five subject notebook in front of me...the second thing was a friend of mine, one of the freshmen in algebra 3 honors, has Western Cultures during 4th period, which is during the extra math period on Monday (she’s actually only going to have five periods of math and make up the work for that one the whole year; luckily she’s very responsible. She’s also a year ahead in science...very smart, she is). So, she asked me if I’d go up with her to the math room to get the missed work. So, nothing unusual...we’re just talking quietly...and so at the top of the stairs, I catch a glimpse of the earth science class (8th graders; I had this class last year). I realize some of the 8th graders are staring at us...must be bored, or something...but we just keep on walking. When we were a little bit further up the hall, the science teacher says loudly to the class, “I don’t like it when my students are staring out into the hallway at other students,” and shuts the door. He was obviously also making sure we heard, as if it was our faults. But my friend and I just cracked up. Hm...I think you’d have to be there to truly appreciate it...

Boy, the first day really wore me out! I don't feel like re-reading my post...sorry if there's some nonsense in there...Oh, and Happy Birthday, Nox!

9 Comments:

Blogger dddragon said...

I hope the schedule works out the way you want!! Now you get to get ready for your first march at a football game on Friday!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Great post. I miss high school and college -- it's nice to shift from subject to subject, I think. Sounds like your day was busy, but good. Are you taking German?

10:15 PM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

Right, Nox...fun, fun...eh?

No, Ori...I wanted to though. But it would be a very tight schedule, I wouldn't be able to take art, and I'd have another midterm/final. Hopefully I'll be able to take it next year...

6:56 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

Great post. I love to hear about your school days.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

It would have taken me a semester to learn your schedule. 8 periods?!?!?!

By the way, I tried to be Una but it's taken.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

Thanks, Granny Nox! And you're welcome :D!

It's always been 8 periods at our school...so I'm used to it, Doug :).

Well, you can still be an Una on my blog, Doug the Una!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I would have got a 'D' in calendar and Fs in everything else. Doug the Una.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Welcome back. It may sound crazy, but teachers are sooo happy to see their new students.

I enjoy relaxing during the first part of summer. The second part is spent thinking about how I'll set up the classroom and tweak last year's lesson plans.

I hope you have a great year - best of luck.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

Hm? What do you mean, Una?

Well, I know some teachers are happy to see us...but some seem like they don't really care...and thanks, Fred. I think I'll need that luck...

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home