8.17.2005

Water...I Need...More Water...

Tonight was another tiring marching band practice. During skull session (practicing music standing in place, mark timing, and moving feet at set changes), someone actually fainted, apparently due to hydration. And we didn’t even start marching yet! I’ll admit, it was kind of lame, but after tonight’s practice, I’m surprised no one else passed out. After skull was our first and only water break...then we headed out into the field for warm-ups/block. Nothing interesting happened during warm-ups/block except the drum major almost ran into me when he was rushing back to his spot (he stands in front and conducts warm-ups, but marches with us during block). The rehearsal of the second part of the show went pretty smoothly...except that a drummer almost backed up into me, so I had to move my slide down in order to avoid him...oh, then we started the end of the first part of our performance (the Tok’ra had to stand out for this), which was okay except I almost got run over by a tuba player...Anyway, we practiced the entire performance (or rather what we learned so far; still haven’t gotten the third part yet) without playing (just counting, etc.). One of the drummers accidentally bumped into the bass clarinet (the other instrument that is alone, but I don’t think it’s as noticeably alone as the trombone) and I almost got run over by a drummer nearby at the same time. Though, besides that, it was okay. I got really tired by the end, though. Then, we practiced marching onto the field, warming-up, tuning, and then getting set. This time we played it...I was so thirsty and out of air that I didn’t play some of the notes during the first part...but since the second part is slower, I was able to recoup a bit...although I was very tired by the end of all of it.

When we arrived home, the Tok’ra played DDR Max 2...I mean, I would have died playing that! However, I must remember that I marched 42 additional sets (she didn’t do the first part...was at camp and all during that...). Though, I’m still surprised that she wasn’t too tired to do it...she even broke some records! Totally insane...I actually do like DDR Max 2, but I am too tired to play it tonight...

6 Comments:

Blogger dddragon said...

Yeah, but the girl who almost fainted has done this before -- look at how thin she is. I think there's more to this than the heat (it wasn't hot last night, for a change) and lack of water.

You guys are doing just GREAT and I'm really impressed with you and the band.

And one of those drummers DID fall down ... I saw him!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Lila said...

Geez. I still say it sounds more like field hockey practice than band!

Well, keep in mind that Haras Pickachu Pez is carrying around a trumpet, not a trombone. I suspect that makes a difference.

9:27 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

I had no idea that band was so dangerous! So, it's a contact sport? Huh!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Tuba players are ra lumbering lot, aren't they? What in the name of Ori, Nox and Jaffa is DDR/Max 2?

11:42 AM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

True, Ori...but the trombone isn’t that heavy...it’s just longer...a lot longer...:P

Well, Granny Nox, when you do it right, it’s not a contact sport...but mistakes turn it into one...:P

lol, DDR Max 2 is one of those dancing video games...(DDR stands for Dance Dance Revolution). And I heard from someone else that the tuba players actually have it better then some instruments because they play the sousaphones in marching band, which allows them to put the weight on their shoulders/upper body rather then their arms.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Thank you. I did not know that,

Signed, Douguna

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home