7.23.2005

Band Camp: Version Penn State

As I said in my last post, I was away at band camp from July17 through today. I believe I learned a lot at this camp. At some times, I had fun, and at others, it could become boring, but I think the overall experience was very enriching and I’d love to do it again next year.

Anyway, on Sunday, we arrive at Penn State, and I have finished the sixth Harry Potter book (since I was reading it almost all of Saturday; I think it’s the best book yet :D). And for band camp, you have to audition to know what part you’re going to get...and to try out for orchestra if you want to (since they only allow three Trombones in it). Well, being the little perfectionist that I am sometimes, I became really nervous and...well...coughcriedcough. Anyway, I didn’t make it into orchestra, but I guess considering that I don’t think my audition went well, I was lucky to get the 2nd trombone part (out of 3) in concert band, plus I was one of the youngest people at the camp, so I’m guessing a lot of the people there have played trombone longer then me.

The next day, was a little hectic, learning where everything was and I had some schedule changes, but here is what my final schedule was:

Period 1: Music Theory
Period 2: Orchestral Listening
Period 3: Concert Band
-LUNCH-
Period 4: Brass Choir
Period 5: Conducting
Period 6: Trombone Sectionals
Period 7: Concert Band
-DINNER-
Period 8: Wind Listening
-CONCERT-
(Yep, we had a concert EVERY night. They were cool at first, but then they got longer and longer...and they cut into the little, if any free time we had)

I learned a lot in music theory (well...more of a refresher/reminder since I haven’t had music theory in a while), conducting, brass choir, and trombone sectionals. Brass Choir, although listed as a chamber group, was actually just a group of brass players who talked and learned about a variety of things, such as the Circle of Fifths, review of scales, musical periods, etc. The trombone teacher for concert band was very good, and I learned a lot from him. Wind listening and orchestra listening didn’t really teach me much, besides give me ideas of orchestral and wind CD’s I would like. In concert band, I did like the pieces that were selected, and they did challenge me, and I believe they resulted in a good concert on Saturday.

On our birthday, luckily, was our “free day”. We only had three periods in the morning, group photo, and then we were allowed to go anywhere on campus and some places downtown. Although it obviously not the best of birthdays, I had fun looking around in the shops, and I was able to buy a bucket hat (since my last favorite bucket hat was lost/stolen).

Anyway, I’m a bit too tired to say anymore, so I might edit/add more things to this post later...but I think that’s it...oh, but I did see the Stargate episodes from yesterday today. I really liked the Stargate SG-1 episode! Though, yet again, I’m a little mad that it’s a “To Be Continued” again. Though, looking that the “on next week’s episode”, I’m guessing we’re going to see the replacement of the Goa’uld :(. The Atlantis one was okay...but I still think it’s no match for SG-1.

5 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Another good post! Thanks so much. I very much enjoy hearing about these camps. Now you're through with camps for this summer. Only three camps!

But Kiddie A has another one, and you will get your parental units all to yourself for a week. Good or bad?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Lila said...

Welcome back home. It sounds like a great experience. I'd love to go to a camp like that... I'm sure you and Haras Pickachu Pez have progressed far beyond my trumpet/flugelhorn skills!

You never did tell me what you want for your birthday... any ideas for me? Huh?

8:00 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Aral, for Pete's sake, there has to be a Harry Potter video game that Goa'uld needs! Even Goud Robert Morley Pez knows that!

Goa'uld that was a great post and thanks for leaving a comment on Waking Ambrose. You made my day. By the way, Comfort Addict is a trombonist and he wrote a post last week about some jazz music he wrote and played.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

Aw, you're welcome, Doug :D. Oh, I'll have to check out that blog!

Hm...I do have the third Harry Potter game...I don't know about the second Harry Potter game...coughyoucouldgetitformeforgamecubecough. Nasty cough I've got, eh?

9:31 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

You should get that cough checked, maybe when Aunt Aral gets home from Goalie camp.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home