8.01.2005

Marching Band



Today was the first day of band camp (or in other words, marching band practice). Boy...I don’t think I’d been in it if it wasn’t a requirement to be in concert band (unless you’re in guard, or have some complication against it).

Okay, so today I had to wake up at 6:30, because a person like me is obsessed about being on time (Alled the Nox can tell you all about it...), so I can take a shower, eat breakfast, and get ready for practice at 8:30. Oh, but my band director believes being early is being on time, so I arrived there at about 8:15, or something. First, we did our warm-ups, stretches, and “hindu”, etc. and did our block drill. I don’t really like the block drill, and still mess up at it, but I’m getting better. Next, we begin learning the actual performance. We kept on doing movements from one point to another point, then reverse (backwards; I suppose we’ll know the whole show front and back, seriously...well, okay, not seriously, because we only do backwards in clusters...), then forward, etc. However we did get to practice up unto a certain point from the beginning. We have a break, and then back to learning the performance. Finally, at 11:40, we get to go home and have lunch. I think my sun block gave out half-way in the AM practice, because my face was red, even after I had rested for a bit. Anyway, the PM practice started at 5:30, and we did some practicing of the music without marching, and then we had a block drill. It was different then the regular one, but I liked it a bit better. After that, we went back to learning the performance, then at 8:40, we finished! Oh, one cool thing is that in set #12, I’m next to the Tok’ra! However, since that Tok’ra is at camp, she’ll have to make up all what we learn in practice. LOL!

15 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

I've never figured out why they call band practice in the summer, "Band Camp." You're not away from home for it, and "camp" implies fun.

Meanwhile your poor sister is at a REAL camp...missing out on all the fun YOU are having. LOL

9:26 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Tok'ra=Bookworm=Haras? Is that a Stargate name?

11:49 AM  
Blogger dddragon said...

Doug: you got it. I'm the Nox. Goa'uld gave us these designations. Aren't we Pezzes confusing? Well, at least my branch of it, anyway ...

4:09 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Geez. Band has become really intense. That sounds almost like field hockey "double sessions", which were pretty much hell on earth.

8:38 PM  
Blogger A Little Bar of Soap said...

God loves a marching band!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

It sure felt like it, Aral! It was so hot...especially today...lol, the funny thing was the field hockey team was practicing around the same time, and they didn't look at tired out as some of the band members did...

11:01 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Let's see 'em run with a trombone.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

The trombone is the coolest instrument in the marching band. "76 trombones" and all that.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

Well, I think it's the greatest instrument EVER, but we all have our opinions ;). Unfortunately, it's "1 trombone" in our marching band...:(

9:10 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

So do you use 1/76th of a coronet?

3:23 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Actually, Doug, since you're bringing math into it... there are 76 trombones leading the big parade, with 110 cornets close behind. So, if there is 1 trombone, math says that there should be 1.45 cornets (rounding off). I'm just sayin'.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

lol, Aral! That'd be scary...having .45 of a cornet player in the band...

4:02 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I learned that song as "76 Trombones and Coronet" I defer to you, though, 1.45 would be appropriate. Is it a hard instrument to play on leg with one arm and no head?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Oh, I see, Doug. I knew you were too smart to get the math wrong... Well, the lyrics supposedly are:

76 TROMBONES (c)1957 Meredith Willson

Seventy six trombones led the big parade
With a hundred and ten cornets close at hand
They were followed by rows and rows of the finest virtuosos;
the cream of every famous band.

Seventy six trombones caught the morning sun
With a hundred and ten cornets right behind
There were more than a thousand reeds springing up like weeds,
There were horns of every shape and kind

There were copper bottom tympani in horse platoons
Thundering, thundering, all along the way
Double bell euphoniums and big bassoons
Each bassoon having his big fat say

There were fifty mounted cannon in the battery
Thundering, thundering, louder than before
Clarinets of every size and trumpeters who'd improvise
A full octave higher than the score

Seventy six trombones hit the counter point
While a hundred and ten cornets played the air
To the rhythm of 'Harch Harch Harch!'
All the kids began to march
And they're marching still, right today

8:57 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I'm gonna have to take this up with my mother. I clearly learned the lyrics wrong. And I still don't understand women. She has some explaining to do while I'm here in Portland.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home