8.10.2005

Classical Music

Today, Granny (Tan Lucy Pez; I guess she’s a Nox since her daughter is) bought me some classical music CDs that I asked for because I was inspired to get some after the Penn State band camp (Thanks again, Granny Nox! Hey! That sounds kind of cool...). I haven’t listened to all of them, but what I have listened to so far (bits and pieces), I like a lot! I got four of Gustav Mahler’s symphonies: No. 1, No. 3, No. 5, and No. 6. I have currently listened to the whole first, and I really like it! Though, I don’t like the parts were there is singing as much, but it’s okay. It would be nice if I could understand it, but it’s in German...

I guess you guys deserve to know a little more about Gustav Mahler!

(From the Wikipedia)




"Mahler was born into a Jewish family in Kalischt, Bohemia. His parents moved to Jihlava, Moravia, where Mahler spent his childhood, in the first year of his life. Having noticed the boy's talent at an early age, his parents arranged piano lessons for him when he was six years old. In 1875, Mahler, then fifteen, was admitted to the Vienna Conservatoire where he studied piano under Julius Epstein. Three years later, Mahler attended Vienna University, where Anton Bruckner was lecturing. While at the university, he worked as a music teacher and made his first major attempt at composition with Das klagende Lied; the opera, which he later turned into a cantata, was entered in a competition, in which he was ultimately unsuccessful..."


You can read on if you like, but basically it talks about how he wrote more symphonies, and how he had to convert from Judaism to Roman Catholic because of his fears of anti-semistism. Despite the fact that he converted, he had to "resign from the Opera, in part forced by a largely anti-semitic press". The teacher who taught Orchestral Listening at Penn State band camp said he died thinking his music was a failure. Quite sad, eh?

Ow! I think I got a bug bite on my eyebrow during marching practice...or at least there is some weird bump that hurts there...we had a tough day today...learned the entire second part of the drill. Then we did the entire show! I am so tired from it...poor Tok’ra, though. It was technically her first day marching with the whole band, but the staff showed her no slack whatsoever. Oh! And our band director only gave us one water break! I hope he gives us more next practice...

6 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Have you thought about studying German? My last unfulfilled fantasy is to learn Ode to Joy in German. I still start singing Ba-ba-ba-ba-baa-be-ba by the second verse, though. Of course, I've only been working on it a year or so.

Was it Mahler who did the music for Erlkoenig?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

Actually, I did sign up to take German I this year, but if it interferes with Latin II, I will choose to take the Latin II over the German I.

And I'm not quite sure...what I know about him is what we briefly talked about him in my Orchestral Listening class and what I read about him on the Internet.

10:08 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

Very interesting post. Glad you are enjoying the music.

I hope that you get to take both German and Latin this year. Aunt Aral is very good with German, and of course your sister can help too. But the real reason I hope you can take it is that Frau Richards is so cool.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I looked it up. Schubert wrote Erlkoenig. Serves me right for pretending to have culture. I'd recommend German too at some point. Germany is beautiful and the hospitality there would remind you of Pezland. It doubles if you speak the language some.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Goa'uld said...

I actually found out I could have taken German I and Latin II, but I decided on taking Art instead...to be honest, I was only taking it because the Frau is cool, and I can't stand not being able to understand the Tok'ra when she speaks German (even though I do know there are tons of other reasons to take German)...and with Art, I take what I really wanted to, but didn't have enough room with German, plus if I did take German, it would have been an additional midterm and final.

I do hope to take German sometime in my life, Doug, but it's not going to be this year...art is a more meaningful course for me to take because I am considering doing something in that area as a job.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Lila said...

Very interesting. Well, it gives you one more reason to learn German! I've told the Frau to expect you... she already likes Haras Pickachu Pez, and she's looking forward to having you in class. She's super sweet. You're going to like her.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home